In this article, we will have an indepth look at RAD 140. This compound, also known as Testolone, is considered by many to be the strongest SARM around. We will see if this claim is grounded and discuss how RAD 140 compares to other SARMs such as LGD-4033 and YK-11.
But let’s start at the beginning by asking:
- What is RAD 140?
- How does it work?
- What are the benefits and side effects of RAD-140?
- What is the recommended dosage and cycle length for RAD-140?
What is RAD-140?
RAD 140 (Testolone) is a SARM (Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator). Similar to other SARMS, it is a chemical that binds to the androgen receptors in a tissue selective manner. So, what the hell does that mean?
Androgen receptors (AR) are find throughout the human body. Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) are hormones that bind to these receptors and activate them, leading to changes in gene expression that control the development and maintenance of male sexual characteristics and other physiological functions, including muscle growth, bone density, and the production of sperm.
But steroids come with significant side effects, because androgen receptors are also involved in the development and progression of various diseases, including prostate cancer and male pattern baldness.
While androgenic anabolic steroids (AAS) target the AR in the whole body, SARMs such as RAD 140 works by binding more specific to the androgen receptors in certain type of tissue, especially in skeletal muscles. As a result, they are being researched as a possible safer alternative to their steroid counterparts.
A brief history of RAD 140
Testolone was developed as a possible treatment for muscle wasting and breast cancer in 2011. Since research shows this SARM has possible neuroprotective properties, there is ongoing research on the role it could play in Alzheimer’s disease.
Since Testolone is one of the newer SARMs, it isn’t as well-researched as LGD-4033 or MK-2866. In fact, the first human trial of RAD-140 was only recently conducted and finished.
How does it work?
RAD 140 works by selectively stimulating androgen receptors in specific types of tissue in the body. For instance, It binds to the androgen receptors in skeletal muscle, resulting in anabolic properties. But it does not bind to the same receptors in organs such as the prostate, therefore preventing many of the negative side effects associated with steroids.
IS RAD 140 the stRONGEST SARM AROUND?
Based on the available clinical research, as well as tons of anecdotal evidence from users, we know that Testolone is certainly one of the most powerful SARMs. On a mg-to-mg basis RAD 140 it is stronger than Ligandrol or Ostarine in building strength and gaining mass in a very short time.
But this has not prevented it from gaining huge popularity among bodybuilders and athletes. The reason for this is simple: It is highly effective at building mass.
BENEFITS OF RAD140
The most pronounced benefits of this SARM, are:
- Increased level of lean muscle mass
- Increased strength
- Increased endurance
- Enhanced fat loss
We will discuss these effects in more detail.
Increased levels of lean muscle mass
- As with other steroids, you should experience higher rates of lean muscle mass when using Testolone.
- RAD 140 will help your body to increase the rate of protein synthesis, which is a process that helps you to build and increase your muscle mass
- When you push your body during a workout, you actually damage the muscles a little bit, creating microtears in your muscle fibers
- Your body uses proteins to repair those tears, which then builds up your lean muscle mass.
- SARMS like Testolone can help increase your muscular endurance
- This is because the anabolic effects of these SARMS boost your body’s metabolism, so it helps your body in more effectively metabolizing energy and using it
- It means you can spend longer in the gym, and you should have a decreased recovery time between workouts.
- It is beneficial, because if you don’t have to spend as long waiting between workouts, you’re less likely to lose muscle mass.
Promotes fat loss
- It is a beneficial side effect of increasing muscle mass
- We’ve all heard that muscle weighs more than fat, but have you also heard that increasing your muscle mass will actually help decrease your fat levels?
- Muscle maintenance burns more calories than fat does
- It means that if you have a greater level of muscle mass, you’re more likely to burn more calories, which will help you burn fat over time.
RAD140 safe dosage
Dosages used in research and human trials
As previously mentioned, only one study has actually been performed on humans, with all the test subjects being women.
The doses used were disproportionately high, but the women tolerated the compound well, and no deaths were caused by such a high dose.
What is interesting is that, based on this trial, the maximum tolerated dose was deemed 100mgs per day.
However, we have to consider the fact that women were used as test subjects, and if someone were to repeat the same experiment with men using the same dosages, the threat of a complete testosterone shutdown would be imminent.
This study doesn’t help us much in determining the perfect dosage for RAD140, but it does seem to be relatively safe to use, even in higher dosages.
RAD140 RESULTS AT A LOW DOSE
Because RAD 140 is the strongest SARM on the market, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it is effective even at very low dosages. This chart shows the dose specific effects on fat and lean muscle mass over a period of 29 days.
RAD140 DOSAGE AND CYCLE LENGTH
For the purpose of increasing muscle mass, strength, stamina and fat loss, the most common dosage for RAD-140 is between 5 and 20 mg per day, depending on the desired goal. We will discuss a few possible cycles:
RAD-140 Beginner cycle
|1 – 2||5mg per day|
|3 – 4||10mg per day|
|5 – 6||15mg per day|
Week 1 and 2
Start with 5mg of per day to allow your body to adjust to this compound.
Week 3 and 4
Increase the dosage to 10mg per day to achieve better results.
Week 5 and 6
During the last 2 weeks of this cycle, you could increase the dose to 15mg per day for maximum benefits. This is optional, as many users report excellent results on just 10mg per day.
RAD-140 advanced cycle
|1 – 2||10mg per day|
|3 – 4||15mg per day|
|5 – 6||20mg per day|
Best RAD-140 dosage for bulking
The best RAD-140 dosage for gaining mass is 20mg per day for 8 weeks if used stand-alone. When used as part of a stack with LGD-4033, it is generally recommended to stick to 10mg per day.
RAD-140 side effects
With such a potent SARM as Testolone, you can experience certain side effects. Based on anecdotal evidence and user reports, most people don’t experience any side effects except for a small dip after a RAD140 cycle. This is quite normal, because you will experience some suppression, which we will cover below.
Some of the other, but less common side effects associated with this compound are:
You have to consider the fact that RAD 140 as well as the other SARMs, are still being researched. This means that clinical data on possible long-term side effects is currently limited. But based on the data that is available, combined with many user reports it is looking promising.
RAD 140 suppression
Just like all other SARMs, RAD 140 increases the amount of Testosterone in your body.
But your body catches up soon and realizes that it doesn’t need to produce any Testosterone on its own as there now is an exogenous source of it being supplied through RAD 140.
That’s why it stops producing the LH hormone on its own, causing suppression to occur as your natural Testosterone levels plummet.
Prevent RAD 140 suppression without a PCT
A PCT can be used to restore natural testosterone production after a cycle of anabolic steroids or SARMs. But generally it is possible to prevent the need for a PCT by following some simple rules:
- Don’t take RAD-140 for longer than 8 weeks
- Do not take massive dosages, as suppression increases with higher dosages
- Take a break after a cycle which is equal to the length of the cycle before using again
Is RAD-140 legal?
The legal status of Testolone is similar to most other SARMS. RAD-140 is legal to buy, own and even consume in almost every country for research purposes.
Because RAD-140 is not FDA approved for human consumption, it is not a legal supplement.
All major organizations prohibit the use of RAD 140 in competitive sports.
SARMs are legal when sold as research chemicals. This means it is perfectly legal to buy, possess, and also consume SARMs for research or medical purposes.
For more info about the legal status of SARMs, read our article: Are SARMs legal in Europe?
Stacking RAD 140
While RAD 140 is a powerful compound that delivers great results when used on its own, it is often stacked with other SARMs for even better results. You can read all about stacking SARMs in our article: Stacking SARMs: The ultimate guide.
A very popular stack combines RAD140 with LGD4033.
For even more powerful results, it can be combined with LGD-4033 and MK-677.
RAD-140 VS LGD-4033
Now that we have established that RAD-140 is one of the strongest SARMs currently on the market, let’s review how it compares to LGD-4033, also known as Ligandrol.
- Increasing muscle mass: When it concerns an increase in muscle mass, LGD will produce faster results for most, but RAD is known to provide leaner muscle gains.
- Improving strength: Based on user reports and mostly anecdotal evidence, RAD-140 is somewhat more effective in increasing strength than LGD-4033.
- Fat loss: RAD 140 is more effective at burning fat than LGD 4033, although both SARMs are generally used for bulking.
- Suppression: RAD-140 suppresses natural testosterone production to a greater extend than LGD-4033 does. This means that I will generally take a bit longer before your testosterone levels are back to bassline after a cycle of Testolone, when compared to Ligandrol.
RAD-140 vs YK-11
While Testolone is the strongest non-steroidal SARM on the market, YK-11 is an even more potent (but steroidal) SARM. You can find more info on YK 11 in our article: Why YK-11 is more than just a SARM. Let’s see how these two compounds compare.
- Increasing muscle mass: As impressive as RAD 140 is in increasing muscle mass, it is no match for YK-11. YK 11 is the only SARM that acts as a myostatin inhibitor, which makes it obviously better when it comes to gaining (lean) muscle mass.
- Improving strength: The fact that YK-11 is a steroidal SARM that is also active as a myostatin inhibitor, makes it more effective at increasing strength than RAD-140.
- Fat loss: RAD 140 is more effective at burning fat than YK 11.
- Suppression: Since YK 11 is a steroidal SARM that closely resembles DHT, it is far more suppressive than RAD-140 is. While the use of a PCT is optional with RAD, YK-11 is far more suppressive, which means that some sort of Post Cycle Therapy is highly advisable.
Questions about RAD-140
RAD140 works similarly to the way that steroids work. The difference is that it is selective and only binds to the androgen receptors in specific tissue. As a result, it causes a lot less side effects than steroids.
Yes, Testolone is legal to buy, own and consume. It can be legally sold as research chemical, but not as a supplement intended for human consumption.
Testolone is active in dosages as low as 1 mg. A common dosage for RAD lies between 5 mg and 20 mg per day, with 10 mg being the sweet spot.
Many sources claim a half-life of 24 hours for Testolone. But that is incorrect. According to the first human trial that finished in 2020, the half-life of Testolone actually seems to be closer to 60 hours.